Filing a Complaint

Sometimes you will be able to resolve a conflict by working directly with your long-term care provider. You can start by following the provider's grievance policy, clearly communicating your concerns in writing, and documenting the problem and your attempts to resolve it.

You can also file a complaint about nursing homes, adult care homes, or family care homes with the NC Division of Health Services Regulation. The Division's Complaint Hotline is 1-800-624-3004 (8:30-4:30pm weekdays). For more information visit

Your regional ombudsman is also available to help address any concerns you may have. For more information visit

For issues of abuse, neglect, or exploitation, contact Adult Protective Services at